Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's been 3 years...


Nicole,Anna,Liz,Paula,Me.





Since I went Britney Spears before she did. 3 Christmas's ago, I was at a pretty desperate time in my life. My good friend Paula was going through chemo for mastatic breast cancer,I was working full time. Depression was my constant companion, Needless to say, I found myself armed with an electric razor in hand one early morning in an insomniac stupor. Buzzzzzzzz.......My over-processed locks fell silently to the floor. I remember looking at myself in the mirror, and sobbing. It was as if the taking off of my hair was a new start for me, a ritualistic symbol of the healing of my soul, my aching heart.
I finally fell into a deep sleep on the couch. I was afraid to go to bed and have my husband awake next to a stranger. I showed him that next morning, and he asked" What have you done?" I shrugged my shoulders. How to explain?
My hair has since grown back, and honestly, the whole experience was well worth it. I found that I have a nice looking noggin, not at all lumpy and scary like! It was rather freeing to shower and rub a towel on top of my head and TADA...dry! I vowed to never color my hair again..Myself. It was also pretty cool seeing what my natural color was after 18 years of coloring it. It was also refreshing to see what some view as a " Womans Beauty" no longer front and center. My hair didn't define me! How I cut it, styled it,colored it didn't determine my social status, my strengths or weakness's. I was ME regardless of being bald, or having beautiful flowing locks. I AM okay no matter what I look like. As someone once said " God don't make no mistakes." So, here I am. :)
~ChristinaMaria~




Sophie and Bald Me 1 week after shaving my head.


2 comments:

Tay said...

I like your hair how it is now. And you didn't look bad with a buzz - maybe you should have left off the wig at our wedding. :D

Christi said...

Thanks Tay! Yeah, looking back, I wish I hadn't wore that nasty wig to your wedding. I can't take back those pictures...
I am liking my hair more and more. It's kind of nice now that I know how to take care of my curly mop. I wish someone had taught me how years ago. It would have made for a lot less heartache and Afros....
Miss you guys! Seems like I haven't seen you in forever!